Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog
Thanks to Merlin401 for the link. He also reminds you to think of these things while listening:
* Why would NO ONE from ANY source contact the league regarding the Friday night story a deal was done before they ran with the story?
* Why, when Bettman learned of the false stories going crazy, not make sure their BROADCAST PARTNER (espn.com) at least didn’t get sucked into it? Why not tell THEM there was definitely no deal personally to save them from embarrassment?
* What is this ridiculous story about “We initiated the meeting but only because we heard from sources that the players wanted us to call to arrange it”? Does that make any sense? The players would call to say “can you call us” and the league says “okey-dokey”
* Why would the league meet with NO guarantee that there was anything going to happen but “chatter” and why would they not ask a few questions before setting up this meeting?
* What the !*&% did they talk about for 6.5 hours if NO DEAL was ever offered on either end?
This is one of the most absurd things I’ve ever heard. Even if I kind of believe the players are more at fault here:
a) either I’m wrong and the league is just as culpable or
b) the league are total, clueless, idiots if they did exactly what Bettman said they did in this interview.